Thursday, August 7, 2008

Put on your snorkle, let's go deeper

The summer of surf (when my children were home) we went to the beach nearly everyday. I learned to surf and I enjoyed it very much!!! The boys of course wanted to catch as many waves as possible. I too wanted to catch a wave, but what I really enjoyed was relaxing just past the wave break on my surf board, just taking in the rays (sun, not sting) and looking down into the deep clear dark water beneath me. The kelp grows in a forest out there and that is where I saw the big gold fish called Garibaldi!

Garibaldi are found in the cooler temperate waters as opposed to tropical reefs. Their habitats range from the shallow subtidal regions down to depths of approximately 100 feet. They occupy shallow rocky reefs near where the intertidal and subtidal zones meet. Here they swim in and around the kelp forests that are prevalent in this habitat. These kelp forests are a critical habitat element as they provide potential protection from predators, are a source of food for them, and are important for reproductive success.
For having fun with Garibaldi with your under water camera see this website!!!

http://www.cadivingnews.com/underwater/id/garibaldi/print.html

video.aol.com/video-detail/garabaldi-in-laguna/136475716

4 comments:

Pedaling said...

wow, you are really loving this sea creature trip. what fun information!

Ronna said...

Did you check out the under water camera info?

sandyseashells said...

Training the fish? Very cool. How fun! Fun info. It's a whole other world under there, huh. I think one of the next family get togethers should be at a beach. With lots of water activities!

Lulu said...

Sandy maybe you & sisters can plan something; like at Pacific Ocean, Lake Powell, Lake Michigan, ???